The FTCE Middle Grades Social Science 5-12 subject examination consists of 120 multiple-choice questions with a time limit of 2 hours and 30 minutes. Question formats will include direct question; command; sentence completion; charts, graphs, and maps; and scenario. Each question will contain four response options, which will be answered by bubbling in choice A, B, C, or D.
The test encompasses 5 core competencies, each with between 6 and 11 skill areas. Competencies are defined as areas of content knowledge, with skills being the behaviors that demonstrate those competencies. Each competency is also assigned a percentage representing the approximate proportion of test items in that content area on the test. Together, the competencies and skills are representative of knowledge that has been determined by content specialists to be important for beginning teachers.
Test-takers will need to demonstrate knowledge of history, geography, civics and government, economics, and social science curriculum and instruction.
Because the number of questions and correct answers needed to pass the examination may vary slightly from one form of the test to another, the Florida Department of Education provides only general guidelines about how many questions must be answered correctly in order to pass. Scores will be available between two weeks and 30 days after the test date.
FTCE Middle Grades Social Science 5-9
FTCE Middle Grades Social Science 5-12 Exam Practice Questions
1. A period in the 18th century in which personal judgment, rational theories, and reason were advocated as primary sources of legitimacy for authority was an expression of:
2. On March 3 of which year did Florida become part of the United States?
3. The indigenous people of the Everglades region who arrived around 15,000 years ago were the:
4. A system of government in which all political, economic, cultural, social, and even spiritual activities are subordinated to the purposes of the state is called:
5. The political union of 27 member states, established by the Treaty of Maastricht, is called the:
A. European Union
B. European Economic Community
C. World Trade Organization
D. United Nations
1. B. The period was also referred to as the “Age of Enlightenment.”
2. B. Florida became the 27th state on March 3, 1845.
3. C. Paleo-Indians arrived in the Florida peninsula, most likely hunting large game.
4. D. In totalitarianism, people are dependent on the edicts of a political party and its leaders.
5. A. The European Union was established on November 1, 1993, upon the foundations of the European Economic Community.