The French K-12 subject examination consists of sections that will test speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills, as well as knowledge of French linguistic structures, vocabulary, culture, and pedagogy. The overall test encompasses 85 questions.
The first part of the exam has to do with speaking. For speaking skills, candidates will perform speaking tasks in French in response to a scenario, example, situation, or statement. Responses will be recorded on a cassette that will be provided. Candidates will need to be able to respond in French to a variety of topics that demonstrate appropriate speaking knowledge in various areas of school, work, and everyday living, as well as respond to tasks relating to French culture, ideas, and topics. Scoring guidelines range from 1 to 6, with 1 being the lowest and 6 demonstrating polished pronunciation and correct grammar usage.
The next part of the exam is a test of listening and comprehension. Candidates will listen to tape-recorded messages spoken in either formal or informal French of no longer than 3 minutes in length to test listening skills. After each passage is played, two to four questions are to be answered on the answer sheet that is provided. The multiple-choice question format will include reading comprehension and vocabulary, culture, language structures and linguistics, and pedagogy. Each question will contain four response options, which will be answered by bubbling in choice A, B, C, or D. Finally, candidates will write a 150-word essay in French in response to an assigned topic that will present culture, information, or ideas. Cues for the writing task will be provided in English. The essay will be scored by two judges with scoring guidelines ranging from 1 to 5. A score of 1 is the lowest, with clearly unacceptable use of French; and 5, demonstrating superiority and strong control of the language, is the highest. An essay of insufficient length or containing excessive repetitions will be rated a 3 or lower. An essay that is off-topic will automatically receive a rating of 1.
The test encompasses 6 core competencies, each with between 2 and 7 skill areas. Competencies are defined as areas of content knowledge, with skills being the behaviors that demonstrate those competencies. Each competency is also assigned a percentage representing the approximate proportion of test items in that content area on the test. Together, the competencies and skills are representative of knowledge that has been determined by content specialists to be important for beginning teachers.
Test-takers will need to demonstrate knowledge of communication; cultures; sociolinguistic patterns through comparisons of English and French; linguistic patterns; and pedagogy.
FTCE French K-12 Exam Practice Questions
1. Renowned painter William Adolphe Bouguereau (1825-1905) is best known for what type of painting style?
B. Realism and mythology
D. Impressionism, especially as applied to plein-air landscape
2. The Pompidou Center in Paris is home to what style of art?
3. French citizens are entitled to ___ weeks of vacation annually
4. What is the French national anthem?
A. Le temps des Cerises
B. La Marseillaise
C. Le plat pays
D. Chansons dans la guerre
5. What is petanque?
A. an outdoor bowling game, similar to horseshoes
B. an outdoor bistro-like area, where natives like to meet and socialize
C. a type of French pastry
D. a jeweled accessory, similar to a brooch
1. B. Bouguereau was considered to be one of the greatest painters in the world in his time. He is best known for realistic and mythological art.
2. C. The Centre Pompidou is hard to miss in Paris, with its brightly colored tubes and pipes that compose its modern exterior architecture. The Pompidou is home to the Museum of Modern Art, along with a public library and performance areas.
3. D. Many natives take leisurely summer vacations in July or August, and certain major businesses are even closed during this time.
4. B. La Marseillaise was written in 1792 and declared the French national anthem in 1795.
5. A. Petanque is a popular and quite easy tossing game, similar to horseshoes.