The Computer Science K-12 subject examination consists of about 120 multiple-choice questions. Question formats will include direct questions, sentence completion, command, and scenario. Each question will contain four response options, which will be answered by bubbling in choice A, B, C, or D.
The test encompasses 7 core competencies, each with between 5 and 7 skill areas. Competencies are defined as areas of content knowledge, with skills being the behaviors that demonstrate those competencies. Each competency is also assigned a percentage representing the approximate proportion of test items in that content area on the test. Together, the competencies and skills are representative of knowledge that has been determined by content specialists to be important for beginning teachers.
Test-takers will need to demonstrate knowledge of computational thinking and problem solving; data types and structures; programming logic; programming languages; computer hardware, software, and networking; the historical aspects and social issues related to computer technologies; and computer science pedagogy.
FTCE Computer Science K-12 Exam Practice Questions
1. What type of algorithm searches a list of data for a particular value by checking every element of a list one at a time in order until a match is found?
A. ternary search
B. binary search
C. sequential search
D. interpolation search
2. Boolean data type is:
A. primitive data that have one of two values: true or false
B. a specification of a set of data and the set of operations that can be performed on the data
C. data from other data types wrapped in one of the constructors of the data type
D. a set whose elements consist of a tag and an object of a type corresponding to the tag
3. A natural unit of data used by a specific computer architecture is called a:
4. __________ programming language provides a programmer with the ability to precisely define each step in the performance of a task as well as the means to be strongly modular.
5. A basic microprocessor consists of which internal function units?
A. arithmetic logic unit, control unit, memory interface, and interrupt or exception controller, vector processing unit, and floating-point unit
B. memory interface, control unit, and interrupt or exception controller
C. control unit, memory interface, and vector processing unit
D. arithmetic logic unit, control unit, memory interface, and interrupt or exception controller
1. C. Linear search is a search algorithm, also known as sequential search, which is used for searching a list of data for a particular value.
2. A. Boolean data type has two values: true or false. The most common functions are AND, OR, and NOT.
3. C. A word is a fixed-sized group of bistable devices that are handled together by the machine.
4. B. The focus of procedural programming is to break down a programming task into a collection of data structures, variables, and subroutines, as opposed to object-oriented programming, which breaks down a programming task into objects.
5. D. A basic microprocessor contains the core elements of a computer system, its computation, and control engine. More sophisticated microprocessors may contain units that assist with program branching, vector processing, and floating-match calculations, although they are beyond what is required for a basic design.