The Art K-12 subject examination consists of about 120 multiple-choice questions. Question formats will include direct questions, sentence completion, command, and scenario. Each question will contain four response options, which will be answered by bubbling in choice A, B, C, or D.
The test encompasses 21 core competencies, each with approximately 2 to 5 skill areas. Competencies are defined as areas of content knowledge, with skills being the behaviors that demonstrate those competencies. Each competency is also assigned a percentage representing the approximate proportion of test items in that content area on the test. Together, the competencies and skills are representative of knowledge that has been determined by content specialists to be important for beginning teachers.
FTCE Art K-12 Exam Practice Questions
1. Which definition most accurately describes “aestheticism”?
A. the technique of transforming the artistic style of minimalism into modernism
B. the process by which one art medium is overlaid onto another one
C. the belief that the pursuit of beauty is the optimal goal, and that it is the responsibility of the artist to utilize elements from nature into a composition
D. the blending of abstract processes, creating a dimensional effect
2. Which renowned artist said, “Art is not the application of a canon of beauty but what the instinct and the brain can conceive beyond any canon. When we love a woman we don’t start measuring her limbs”?
A. Oscar Wilde
B. Pablo Picasso
C. Agnes Martin
D. Claude Monet
3. Neoclassical art can be described as:
A. traditional or anti-modern
B. aesthetic introspection
C. creations from the Medieval period
D. abstract or without form
4. “Fresco” technique refers to:
B. negative painting
C. faux painting applications
D. paintings created on plaster on walls or ceilings
5. A picture or other design constructed from smaller pieces of materials is referred to as:
A. print making
C. relief sculpting
1. C. Aestheticism deals with art objects and experiences and is associated with emotions and beauty. A hint as to the correct answer is the job title “aesthetician,” a person who is a specialist in beauty.
2. B. Spanish artist Pablo Picasso (1881-1973), who was one of the most recognized figures in 20th century art for his wide variety of styles. He was quoted at various stages of his life about art not having a single standard, which should serve as a hint as to which answer is correct.
3. A. Neoclassical can be described as classical art and culture, and was dominant during the mid-18th to the end of the 19th century. Neoclassical arts do not strive to create something new, but rather to perfect tradition and high-cultural craftsmanship. The base word “neo” usually means recent or new.
4.D. “Fresco” comes from the Italian word affresco, which means “fresh.” Frescoes were often created during the Renaissance and other time periods.
5. B. Mosaics date back past 4,000 years and are normally solid and quite durable. They can be made from a variety of materials and can be flat or three- dimensional.